Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Music with Meaning - The Soundtrack of a Life

Ever find yourself listening to certain music when you're feeling in a certain mood? When you're happy, do you listen to upbeat tunes? How about when you're feeling sad, do you realize you've got something slow and sappy on? And when you're driving, does the music you're listening to dictate how aggressively you drive?

I can honestly answer yes to all those questions. When I'm being reflective I normally listen to something like David Wilcox... 'Eye of a Hurricane' is one of those songs that kinda tell the story of my life... as is 'How Did You Find Me Here'. If I'm happy I'll ususally listen to something with a dance beat of some sort. It was recently pointed out to me that I listen to Beyonce a lot when I'm in a good mood. If I'm sad I listen to The Cure a bit too much. And I know for a fact that when I listen to Eminem I drive a lot more aggressively than when I'm listening to Michael Bubble.

I'm very eclectic when it comes to music. I will give any type of music a try at least once. I love when people give me a new artist or song to listen to. One of the nicest things a person could ever do for me would be to give me a CD of songs they enjoy that they're certain I've never heard before. But I digress...

There are songs that remind me of certain people or situations. Almost every song by Madonna reminds me of my cousin Susan, who is a freak for anything Madonna. Kat DeLuna reminds me of Jeffrey because he was the one who introduced me to her music. 'Heard the World' by O.A.R. reminds me of how I used to be about life... I'd love Donal to hear it as well, as I told you, we're similar in a few things. And anything by Senses Fail reminds me of Chris.

Today I heard the song 'Love Who You Love' by Rascal Flatts, which reminds me of something I put in this very blog around Valentine's Day this year. It's basically about how life is short and tomorrow isn't promised to anyone so show/tell those that you love, that you love them. A sentiment I've expressed more than once to anyone who will listen. (hehe) I think I've bored you all to tears about that very thing, and if you read any of my other blogs you've seen it more than once.

I just came back from a walk, I had to clear my head, and I found myself listening to Lifehouse, Death Cab for Cutie, OneRepublic, and The Feeling... my mind when to someone very important to me. When I walk during lunch at work I normally listen to House of Pain, Alien Ant Farm, Destiny's Child, Jean Paul, and Tom Jones. When I'm doing heavy duty cleaning I listen to a mix of Techno that my friend Evan gave me. Ironically at bed time, when I can't sleep, I listen to my favorite audio book readers Dick Hill (with his faux Irish accent) or Phil Gigante (with his various Scottish accents) to help ease myself into a restful slumber. Maybe I need to get Donal or Chris to record something for me. *wink*

So whose part of your life soundtrack?

And by the way.... love you all (as always).

2 comments:

Televisnostic Insomniac said...

Just the other day, I was enjoying Starsailor's album and found to uplift me in so many ways.

Music is such a big help.

boromirbeauty said...

Tel: Great album. :) Glad to see you here.